Cooking with Cannabis – Recipes and Tips
Cannabis July 18, 2022
Smoking is not the only way to enjoy the versatile plant we call cannabis. Some folks may feel uncomfortable smoking cannabis because of their health or a general aversion to inhaling smoke. Cannabis edibles, however, are an alternative means of getting high without the smoke.
You can purchase pre-made cannabis edibles from a reputable dispensary. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even cook and bake cannabis edibles at home. Daunting though it may sound, it’s easier to whip up homemade cannabis treats than you might expect. All you need to produce delicious, nutritious cannabis-infused edibles are a few good recipes and some cooking tips from the pros.
Tips For Cooking Cannabis
If you’re a beginner who is cooking cannabis edibles for the first time, the following tips are for you. Using these tips will not only guide you step-by-step through the process, but also enhance the overall quality of the cannabis edibles you produce.
1. Select The Correct Strain
There are known to be over seven hundred available strains of cannabis. Different effects, aromas and flavors characterize each of those strains. If you already have a preferred cannabis strain, you’ll already have an idea of how the effects should feel – which will help you to better compare and determine the efficacy of the cannabis edibles you create with said strain. If you’re not sure which strain to use, talk with your local dispensary for ideas.
If you prefer an energizing high, you may want to use a strain of the cannabis sativa variety. Cannabis indica strains, by contrast, are preferable for those seeking relaxation and calm. Because every cannabis strain may have a different effect on your mind, it’s wise to acquaint yourself with the strain’s effects before using it in an edible.
2. Select The Right Cannabinoid Content
Cannabinoids are chemical compounds in cannabis that produce feelings of relaxation, euphoria or even pain relief. THC and CBD are the two primary cannabinoids you will encounter. THC has psychoactive effects that, upon consumption, create a sense of euphoria and the “high” sensation associated with cannabis.
CBD, by contrast, is the cannabinoid known to help ease symptoms of joint pain, anxiety, inflammation, depression and many other physical and mental ailments. Before cooking cannabis edibles, determine if you want to cook CBD edibles for anxiety or pain relief, or if you want to cook THC edibles for relaxation and/or euphoria. Once you’ve made this determination you’ll have a better idea of which cannabis strain you’ll need to use.
3. Decarboxylate Your Cannabis Flower
As a beginner, remember to decarboxylate – in other words, bake – your hemp or cannabis flower.
Decarboxylation enhances the potency of the cannabis plant’s effects. Keep in mind that when you bake or “decarb” your cannabis, your house will smell like cannabis for a while – so it’s a good idea to keep the kitchen area well-ventilated. Some prefer baking the flowers at higher temperatures for better results.
It’s also best to use cannabis that has already been dried and cured (as opposed to fresh from the plant). Gently grind, shred or tear the cannabis buds into smaller pieces, then spread them out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. To activate CBD, bake the cannabis at 295°F (146°C) for 30 to 60 minutes. For THC activation, bake it at 240°F (115°C) for 30 to 60 minutes.
4. Use A Grinder For Best Results
We recommend using a grinder to make your cannabis flower as small as possible. The finer the grind, the greater the exposed surface area of the cannabis during decarboxylation.
This can speed up the dissolution of the plant’s trichomes. Trichomes are important because they carry the most cannabinoids. The more trichomes that make it into your cannabis edible, the better the results. Finding the right weed grinder will help.
Popular Edible Cannabis Recipes
Here are some popular cannabis recipes that you can try to make at home. These recipes are easy to follow, and the first two can be used in the creation of many other types of cannabis edibles.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of butter (your water to butter ratio should be 1:1)
- 1 cup of decarboxylated cannabis
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add your water, followed by the decarboxylated cannabis flower, and gently stir.
- Simmer the butter for three hours, ideally at a temperature around or below 190°F – avoid letting the butter reach a boiling point. Continue to stir occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and allow the butter to cool for a few minutes.
- Once the butter has cooled down, but not solidified, pour it through a cheesecloth or mesh strainer to remove the residual plant material.
- Store the butter in a sealable container. Place it in the fridge and allow it to solidify before using.
- If excess water later forms at the bottom of the container, pour it out.
If you want to make butter in large quantities, keep the ratio of water, butter and cannabis plant the same (1:1:1).
Canna-oil is another popular cannabis edible. To cook cannabis oil, get the following:
- Decarboxylated cannabis
- Cooking oil of your choice (vegetable oils, such as olive oil and coconut oil, are most common)
- Set your stovetop to a low heat (240°F).
- In a saucepan, add cannabis and oil. Simmer for three hours, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside the oil and allow it to cool.
- Pour the cooled cannaoil through a cheesecloth or mesh strainer to remove the residual plant material.
- Store the oil in a food-safe container, and leave it in the fridge to further cool.
Cannaoil can be used to cook a number of delicious cannabis edibles.
3. Weed Peanut Butter Cookies
Use the following ingredients to make weed peanut butter cookies:
- Cannabutter 1 cup
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Two eggs
- 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda
- Salt ½ tablespoon
- White sugar 1 cup
- Peanut butter 1 cup
- Brown sugar 1 cup
- All-purpose flour 2 ½ cup
- Grease or line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (or 190°C).
- Mix peanut butter, cannabutter, brown sugar and white sugar until it reaches a creamy texture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until they are smooth.
- In a third bowl, mix the flour and remaining dry ingredients. Then add the eggs and the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients to stir and create a dough. Be careful not to overmix the ingredients – stir until everything just starts to appear evenly mixed.
- Use a plastic wrap to cover the dough and place it in a fridge for about an hour or two.
- From the chilled dough, create balls one-inch in diameter and place them on a baking sheet.
- In your pre-heated oven, bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Remove them when a toothpick comes out slightly wet. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
Buy Premium Cannabis From Pure Oasis
Pure Oasis carries a versatile inventory of premium cannabis products. To save time and energy, you can shop all cannabis-related products online. Plus, our quality is guaranteed. Buy your favorite cannabis flowers from our online shop.
Visit our website today for more cannabis edible recipes, and contact us to learn more about your favorite strains.