Have you ever wondered why does weed make you sleepy? At Pure Oasis we have you covered with the information you are searching for.
THC’s Chemical Compounds
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is one of the main chemical compounds present in cannabis and is the cause of the “high” that is commonly associated with cannabis. THC is also a powerful sleep aid; this is because THC activates by binding to the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in your brain. These receptors are to some extent involved in modulating sleep-wake cycles, although further study is still needed. Other studies have shown that THC also effectively mimics the effects of melatonin (and may even increase melatonin production) in your body, which is the neurotransmitter that governs your body’s sleep. Essentially, this means when THC activates the cannabinoid receptor, the receptor sends signals to your body that both induce sleep and promote deeper sleep. Marijuana strains that have high THC percentages are therefore typically effective as a sleep aid.
Causes of Insomnia Targeted by THC
It’s clear that sleep disorders are a common problem. According to the latest information available from the American Sleep Association, between 50-70% of American adults have some type of sleep disorder. 37% of 20-39 year-olds and 40% of 40-59 year-olds report short sleep duration, and 35.3% of adults report getting less than the minimum 7 hours of recommended sleep in a 24-hour period. Cannabis is an effective sleep aid because it helps to restore your body’s natural sleep-wake cycles, which many people struggle to maintain as they push themselves to keep pace with modern work and societal pressures.
What Makes Indica Different?
If you are unfamiliar, cannabis is typically categorized into two different categories: Indica vs. Sativa. Indica-dominant strains are known for producing more of a “body high” than a “head high,” and are more commonly effective than Sativa strains at promoting feelings of relaxation, increased appetite, sleepiness, and pain relief. For these reasons, Indica strains are generally favored over Sativa strains when looking for a sleep aid.
Best Strains for Sleep
Some of the best sleep aid strains available include:
- AFGHANI – Afghani is an Indica dominant strain, with high THC levels at 17.8%. Afghani features a sweet and earthy aroma, and is popular for its deep, sedating, relaxing, and euphoric properties. As you might guess, it is named for its geographic region, where some of the earliest strains of cannabis were grown.
- CHEESE – Hailing from the UK, Cheese is another Indica dominant strain featuring 18% THC. It is named for its sharply sour aroma and resemblance to cheddar cheese. Cheese is well known for its relaxing effects and uplift in mood.
- DOMINION SKUNK – Dominion Skunk is an Indica-dominant hybrid blend featuring 15.7% THC. Dominion Skunk is associated with an initially powerful relaxation that is accompanied by an aroma of powerful earthiness mixed with a hint of musky jasmine.
- G-13 GENIUS – G-13 Genius is an Indica dominant strain featuring 16.7% THC. It is a blend between the G-13 and Genius strains.
- GG4 – GG4 is an Indica dominant hybrid blend featuring a whopping 24.6% THC. It is popular for its feeling of heavy euphoria and relaxation. It has a pungent earthy and sour aroma inherited from its parent strains.
If you are visiting a dispensary, always feel free to talk to the staff to get a better understanding of what you are looking for in a specific strain and which strains would work best for you. Staff is always friendly and knowledgeable, so don’t be shy if you are a first time visitor.
Get Strains that Help You Sleep at Pure Oasis
Whether you are a first-time cannabis user looking to explore the benefits of marijuana use or a long-time connoisseur, Pure Oasis is focused on your needs and making your shopping process smooth, efficient, and enjoyable. Our coffee-shop style dispensary is designed to make shopping a breeze and our knowledgeable staff is here ready to guide you through our many choices.
We pride ourselves in giving adult consumers the information to help them make the best choices for their individual needs. Our easy-to-use menu includes THC percentages and gradings that guide you toward your desired effect. Whether you are looking for energy, a sleep aid, or pain relief, we have something just for you. Many cannabis users report positive benefits such as increased appetite, reduced anxiety, better sleep, improved mood, and less pain and inflammation.
Featuring numerous varieties of Indica, Sativa, and hybrid marijuana flower, our cannabis product menu also includes pre-rolled joints, concentrates, cannabis-infused edibles, along with vape pens, and accessories. We also carry the largest selection of cannabis flowers, hash concentrates and oil, infused topical salves, creams, and lotions, or infused edibles and beverages. Choose what works best for your lifestyle. Contact us today.